2.07.2008

Things I Love 2

Last year around this time I posted a list of "Things I Love" (you know, to tie-in with Valentines) and I recently re-read the post and decided to add some more stupid little stuff that, for me, makes life better. Enjoy!

Vanity plates
I like personalized license plates, no matter how lame they may be. I LOVE trying to figure out cryptic ones more than anything. I always wanted to get "YNG GOP" but that time has passed...maybe "OLD GOP" when I hit 60? Or when I get my Bentley, I'll roll with a "JLEDERER" plate.

Movie credits
I love sitting in a theater after the movie ends and just watching the credits. I learned this from my parents. I don't think they did it out of respect for cinema or anything else...I think they just wanted to wait until the aisles cleared to leave. But I do it because it’s peaceful. I can reflect. It's great after a tear-jerker and collecting myself or after a wild ride and trying to comprehend everything I just experienced. The bonus is sometimes at the end, there's something extra to be seen (ie 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off', 'X-Men: Last Stand', 'Naked Gun', etc." Conversely, I hate when at the moment the movie ends, someone on the next row shouts out to their friend, “I can't believe he was the murderer!!”. Or "GOD, SO OBVIOUS!!!" as someone said five seconds before 'Paycheck' finished and pissed the shit out of me.

Over-friendly waitresses
I love it when waitresses (especially the older ones at greasy spoon diners) call me "Sugar" o r "Honey" or any other name like that.

Chinese food serving sizes
I love the way fast-food Chinese restaurants — the good ones — will just PILE on the food. The Panda Express near my apartment, you order a two-item combo and you end up walking out with a six-pound plate of Orange Chicken and chow mein.

Flippin' the script
I love when people you expect to believe one thing believe exactly the opposite. The ideology doesn’t matter as much to me as the ability to go against type. I like very liberal Democrats who are card-carrying members of the NRA. I like uber-conservative Republicans who march against the war. I may disagree with them, but I totally respect the individuality. Hell, I can even respect Red Sox fans who like Derek Jeter (I hate him but damn it, do I respect him) or Larry Bird fans who concede Magic was better or huge Beatles fans who will admit that The Rolling Stones had a few equally great songs. I just like it when people can mix it up a little bit.

4 comments:

Conrad said...

What are you doing at greasy spoon diners? You've got a gauntlet to win.

Anonymous said...

YNP GOP! Perfect! Reminds me of what Bill Maher said about college republicans... " The place where cutthroat, amoral putzes like Karl Rove cut their teeth. They're all staunchly for the Iraq War, although none have volunteered to go, even though they're the same age as the grunts doing the fighting they say is so important. Doughy losers who, at age twenty, care more about tax cuts than girls. And lately they've been holding these "Catch an Illegal Immigrant" parties around the country where they basically play hide-and-seek with one lucky player posing as the wetback. Usually you have to be older and married before you start hating life so much you try to blame the Mexicans for all your problems, don't you? ""

Joe said...

No kidding, Conrad. Hell, from that list, I don't partake in three of those things now (diners, chinese food and movies.)

Conrad said...

Be careful this weekend. I wouldn't want The King to sabotage your discipline.