7.06.2008

Roger's No Dodger


A-friggin'-mazing!

I'm no tennis fan, but I am a complete sports nut, so I watch all the big events for almost any sport. I watch the Triple Crown horse races. I watch Daytona and Indy. Hell, I'm even currently watching the coverage of the Tour de France on Versus every night. And when it comes to tennis, I always watch the Grand Slam finals, especially the French Open and most of all, Wimbledon.

I badly wanted to watch the entire match between Federer and Nadal but work beckoned. When I was finally able to pull myself away from the computer, paperwork and phones, Federer was down two sets to none. I watched almost every serve and volley from that point on and damn it if I wasn't lucky enough to see perhaps the greatest Grand Slam final in tennis history.

Unfortunately, my boy Federer couldn't pull it out and Nadal finally edged his rival on the grass court. During the match, as I was rooting for the Swiss, my boy Aaron tells me that me rooting for Federer "makes absolutely zero sense" because, as Aaron knows, I'm a big time Kobe Bryant and Tiger Woods hater. He figured I would hate the dominate Federer as well, but alas, I told him I was anything but a Federer hater.

Before you yell racism, I think I know why I hate the best in the game Kobe and Tiger but cheer on Federer (and by the way, as much as I hate Kobe and Tiger, I respect them and admit they are the tops of their sport): Before Kobe came onto the screen, I was a HUGE Michael Jordan fan. Before Tiger came onto the scene, I was a HUGE Phil Mickelson fan. When Federer came onto the scene, I didn't really have a favorite tennis player. I think that's why I'm on the Federer bandwagon but not a follower of #24 and Eldrick.

0 comments: