1.09.2008

The Music Post

Let's start this baby off with a list:

Top Ten Favorite Bands/Artists of All-Time
10.The Rolling Stones
9. Jeff Buckley
8. Elvis Costello
7. The Notorious B.I.G.
6. Nirvana
5. Jay-Z
4. The Beastie Boys
3. Elliott Smith
2. The Smashing Pumpkins
1. The Beatles

Just missed the cut: The Beach Boys, Jimmy Eat World, Sublime, Rage Against The Machine, Kanye West, Counting Crows, Radiohead, David Bowie.

* * * * *

You ever "discover" an artist or band years after they were popular and wish you were there from the beginning? After "Good Will Hunting," I took an immediate following to Elliott Smith and got to eagerly await two of his albums before his death in 1993. I wish I could have known him back in his Heatmiser days, or at the very least when he debuted "Roman Candle". Another favorite of mine from the list above died too early, that being Jeff Buckley. I had always known of Jeff Buckley's cult following while I was in college but never ventured to listen to the music. It wasn't until about 6 years ago did I borrow "Grace" from a friend and instantly I became a fan.

Anywho, a band I just learned about that I wish I followed from the beginning is Red House Painters. Similar styles to Smith and Buckley, I've just recently gobbled up all their albums and have been really loving them.

* * * * *

Do you have to own every album to have a group considered a favorite? How about just the mainstream albums? Does owning concert DVDs and bootleg albums make you a better fan or just someone with more expendable income?

From my list above, I own every major released album by the top seven. I'm not a hardcore fan of any group, really, but I do own a few Beatles books, two concert DVDs from The Smashing Pumpkins (plus the CD of Billy Corgan's short-lived Zwan project), hunted down and burned or acquired through other fans great B-sides, bootlegs and rarities of Elliott Smith, and also own a Jeff Buckley DVD as well.

Does it make me a better fan? I don't think so.

* * * * *

Please feel free to post your Top Ten lists, or let us know what groups you became a fan of later in their careers, or your thoughts about owning every album, DVD, etc. of a group in the comment section!

3 comments:

Conrad said...

The Rolling Stones are really in your top ten?

Adam and Myisha Partridge said...

What kind of top ten list of artist has Elivis Costello on it? He's not even the best Elvis! Shame on you.

AJ said...

My list would have a bit of overlap from yours, actually. I would have to include Elvis Costello, The Beatles, Jay-Z, and Nirvana among the top 10.